This article comes from our friends at the Vermont Cheesemakers Festival, which Blast is proud to sponsor!
- 4 leeks, the white and light-green section only, cut in half lengthwise and washed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 Bijou, cut in half horizontally
- 8 slices French baguette, ¾ inch thick
- 1 head romaine lettuce, trimmed, washed, and spun
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Pat dry and toss leeks with a splash of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes until tender but not mushy! Let the leeks cool, then chop thinly and put in a medium-size bowl.
- Prepare the dressing. Mix together the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, and leeks, and let sit for 4 hours to 1 week.
- Put a medallion of the Bijou, rind facing up, on each baguette piece and place under the broiler until the cheese is soft to a little runny. The rind should be slightly golden (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Serve immediately over mixed greens tossed in the leek vinaigrette and the tomatoes.