This spring, Executive Chef Peter Tartsinis of Blue on Highland gives this simple Italian dish a new twist with creamy, burrata cheese complimented by red pepper pesto, slices of warm, crispy eggplant, tomato coulis and a pinch of micro greens.
- ½ ball burrata cheese (3oz)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. red pepper pesto
- 1 tbsp. micro greens
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 oz. tomato coulis
- Slice eggplant into five, ½ inch thick pieces and coat in all purpose flour; dip pieces into egg. Wash coat eggplant with bread crumbs made up of ground toasted ciabatta, basil, oregano, kosher salt, ground white pepper and parmesan cheese. Pan fry breaded eggplant until lightly browned & crispy.
- For the roasted red pepper pesto, purée one can of roasted red peppers, 3 pinches salt, 1 pinch white pepper, 8 oz. grated parmesan, 2 cups of walnut pieces, and 2 tbsp. minced garlic.
- To create the tomato coulis purée 12 oven roasted plum tomatoes, 3 oven roasted, peeled and seeded red peppers, ½ tbsp. minced garlic, 3 pinches salt, 8 dashes of Tabasco, 6 dashes of Worcestershire, 1 oz. red vinegar and a pinch of ground white pepper. Blend ingredients until smooth.
- Place ½ a ball of burrata cheese in the center of serving plate, top with ½ tbsp of red pepper pesto; top pesto with a large pinch of micro greens. Place 5 pieces of fried eggplant equally around plate; add a dollop of tomato coulis in between each piece of eggplant. Serve as an appetizer or entrée.