A dish from Nuno Alves, chef at Tavolo Ristorante in Dorchester.
This is a light and refreshing salad perfect for the fall or winter (pomegranate season).
Note: Italians normally eat salad after the meat course.
- 1 Head frisee, ripped and washed
- 1 Head Boston lettuce, ripped and washed
- 1 Head romaine, chopped and washed
- 3 Ounce Baby arugula
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 2 Ounce White balsamic vinegar
- 2 Ounce EVO
- 2 Ounce Grapeseed Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Pomegranate, seeded
- 8 Ounce Goat or feta cheese
- 2 Ounce Toasted pistachio nuts
- 1 Cup POM juice, reduced to a syrup
- For the Vinaigrette:
- Mince the shallot and put in a medium bowl along with the honey and vinegar.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper, whisk well to combine. Salt dissolves in the vinegar so adding the salt before you add the oil ensures even seasoning. Let sit for ten minutes.
- Whisk and add the oils, it will not stay emulsified for long, so make sure to mix it well just before dressing the salad.
- For the Salad:
- Mix lettuces and toss with a small amount of EVO. (This helps protect the lettuces from the acid and keeps them crisp longer)
- Salt and pepper them, then dress with the vinaigrette. Start with a few tablespoons and taste the greens.
- Adjust the amount if you like your greens more dressed.
- Top with pistachios, pomegranate seeds and crumbled cheese. Drizzle with cold POM reduction and a little more EVO.
Tavolo is a comfortable spot where everybody knows your name. Be welcomed with a smile as big as our TV screens. Try a meatball that was featured in Bon Appetit Magazine. Free parking across the street. The food press call Tavolo: unpretentious, tasty, diverse, a keeper. How many more reasons do you need? Visit Tavolo today. Where good food is everything. Open daily from 5 p.m.